Wednesday, December 19, 2012

12-21-12: Just Another Friday.

Do a quick Google search and you will find plenty of news articles discussing the way the Mayan calendar works. Here's one of them. I think the fact they had a long count calendar is pretty cool. These people probably think it's a cool idea, too. But the coolest thing to me about this year's Winter Solstice is how "the sun will align with the center of the Milky Way galaxy as seen from Earth for the first time in 26,000 years." (Source). Knowing this little tidbit had me wondering about how that fits into the Milankovitch cycles, and it seems as though axial precession of the Earth's axis might be the process that fits.

As to the whole Mayan Apocalypse, the government has taken its time to respond to the public fear of an event that most likely won't even happen. NASA and the US Geological Survey (USGS) have written responses. NASA takes the time to respond to all sorts of quirky questions, while the USGS gives a short list of actual disasters the Earth is capable of producing, and how geologists can (or can't) forecast such natural disasters. The USGS then helpfully directs you to a FEMA site where you can learn how to build your own preparedness kit. I think the CDC provides us with the best preparation; however, where they instruct us on how to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse.

As for me, I'm not expecting the world to end this Friday, or there to ever be a Zombie Apocalypse, but it sure feels good to have a few things saved for a rainy day.

2 comments:

cardlady said...

Nice blog. I like that you put in your sources. I don't think it will be the end. But things lining up in the solar system, may be the earth going back to its original axis, putting us closer to the second coming. Also, all the natural disasters, may be the effect of the earth moving more toward the original axis. sp? Oh well. Nice to see your blog.

Sara said...

Huh. Who knew the CDC had a sense of humor? I don't remember them having one when I worked there . . . :)

Thanks for the links to the preparedness sites, though; they're so helpful!