A couple of years ago I flew to Portland, Oregon for work. While in Denver, making my connection, I ended up in the boarding line behind a mother and her two young sons. One of them was deaf and mute, but even in sign language, he was talkative like most boys his age. As our line was corralled into the boarding ramp he busily pointed to things, and rapidly signed with eager hands as he sought response from his family members. His brother mostly ignored him, or gave only curt responses with a twitch of his hand. His mother was occupied with her luggage, and could only respond with short verbal responses he could read or if she set a bag down.
We were finally standing near the entrance to the plane when this energetic youth noticed the control board of the boarding ramp, used to bring the ramp in contact with the side of the plane and in correct location with the door of the plane. He looked longingly at the joystick styled like an Atari controller in the center of the panel of buttons. He patted his brother's shoulder, and pointed at it. His brother looked, shrugged, and then turned away. The boy looked back, seemingly confused as to why his brother did not share his enthusiasm.
It was at this moment that the boy caught me staring. I smiled and pointed to myself signing "I". Then I placed the fingers of my flat hand to the side of my forehead and said "know". Pointing at him I continued, "you". I then put both hands in front of me slightly open and face up, then pulled them to me while closing my fists and said "want". And finally, not knowing a sign, I just pantomimed with my hand as though I were fiddling with the joystick.
"I know you want to play with that control panel."
His smile made my day as he turned and excitedly tugged at his mother's sleeve. He told her I could sign. As she turned to me and asked if I signed I quickly clarified, and told her I had used nearly every sign I knew, but that I had just noticed his interest in the control panel. We chatted for a moment, and soon the line moved forward. As we boarded the plane this boy kept pointing to things that caught his interest, and looked back at me for affirmation. I registered his interest with smiles, and soon he and his family were seated and I moved past them to my seat. I settled in my window-seat where I wondered what vista this inquisitive boy would find interesting out his respective window.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What a wonderful story! You are a good writer, Ryan. Keep the posts coming! :)
Aww! You're so sweet Ryan- you're gonna be a great dad!!
Post a Comment