Friday, March 5, 2010

Why is it getting so hot in here?

http://www.matternetwork.com/images/Matter/climate_change.jpg

Global-Warming, Climate-Change, what ever you want to call it - there are observable trends and behaviors of the global climate that indicate a change toward a warmer planet. (The current winter weather patterns actually being one of them).  But I am not yet convinced humans are the cause of all that is going on. Nor will I forget that the climate has been much colder as well as much warmer on this planet than it is currently. Also, I worry more about the destruction to forests and reefs we currently cause which are natural sinks for the carbon that has ignorant politicians and useless UN committees in a tizzy. This destruction is a removal of the planet's natural capacity to regulate and heal from anything we might try to inflict on it.

So I, personally, wish to wait for more research and data before I make a conclusion in regard to the human factor in climate change, while still remaining vigilant in being a good steward to the world I have been allowed to live in.

Each year the Geology Department at Georgia Southwestern awards one student-membership in the American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG). This year the student who was awarded was me. I received my membership packet last week, and today finally got around to reading the organizations bi-monthly publication The Professional Geologist. I read in TPG the updated position statement of the organization on climate change.

 "The geological professionals in AIPG recognize that climate change is occurring regardless of cause. AIPG supports continued research into all forces driving climate change." (TPG Jan/Feb 2010, p. 42)

The intent of the above statement was to "take a professional and scientific position without getting involved with the political debate".And they admit that their statement is ambiguous, but I don't think they can currently say it any better.

For now, it seems my personal opinion in this matter, arrived at only recently, has been somewhat validated - at least until they update their position again, and hopefully then there will be more research which will help me reach a firmer conclusion myself.

No comments: