This past week I turned in a research paper about genetically modified food for a class. I had selected the topic because I wanted to learn about it, and learn I did, but a firm opinion about the safety or danger of GM/transgenic food eludes me. And, as I think on the hours of research I put into what amounted to only an overview of the field I am reminded of other polemic issues, some of which I have an opinion and others over which I have yet to form an opinion.
After much thought and research i am a supporter of home birth and midwifery. My mother's influence may have bearing on this opinion, but I have researched this topic and have gone so far as to attend committee meetings at the Georgia State Capital to discuss the issue with my local representatives.
I support the local organic food movement, and, if one does eat meat, eating pasture fed not grain fed cattle, and truly free range poultry. I hope to, one day, grow and raise a vast majority of my food supply when circumstance allows. I think recycling is a great idea, but only the recycling of metals and glass currently makes sense when the expense of recycling paper and plastic along with the cost in oil and energy to transport and process said materials outweighs any benefit.
Composting is a great idea. Garage sales, flea markets, consignment shops and swap meets as sources of, well everything, make better sense than buying gobs of over packaged items new.
I think contemporary construction methods have some issues involved in them, as well as chemical issues in many modern materials, but I want to learn more. I can thank my friend who wants to build a cob house one day for making me think about this. I think we build house that are way to large for what we need. I'm not saying I want to live in a shack, but I do know I don't need much space to actually live.
I don't know what I think about vaccines. I have heard many arguments about vaccines, and know people who don't vaccinate their children for various reasons, but despite all the books I have read I have yet to decide where I stand on this issue.
I am definitely anti-abortion. The terms Pro-choice and Pro-life are senseless. Every one is, hopefully, for choice and for life. I am not saying that if medically necessary or in cases of rape or incest a woman should not be able to attain this procedure, but it should not be a form of birth control.
I am for the fair tax.
I think, no let me rephrase that, I know many "world issues" could be solved if focus was made on families and the strengths of our communities. That the ideal of think global act local is lost even on the activists who stand on street corners and protest. That a culture of morality develops people best able to govern themselves and not people needing to be governed. As a true cultural shift occurs in local thinking we would elect representatives better able to, well, represent us.
Finally, I believe in both evolution and God. I am a scientist and a Christian. in the words of the prophet Lehi "there is a God, and he hath created all things" (2 Ne 2:14). I want to learn all I can about God and the world I live in. In The Origin of Species Darwin quotes Bacon: "[L]et no man out of a weak conceit of sobriety, or an ill-applied moderation, think or maintain, that a man can search too far or be too well studied in the book of God's word, or in the book of God's works; divinity or philosophy; but rather let men endeavour an endless progress or proficience in both." I seek such progress or proficience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You think a lot....
I read your blog and decided to start reading up on cob. What an addictive idea! Anyway, bought some books on it and we'll see where it leads.
Post a Comment