Frequently geologists will equate geologic time to a calendar of one year for the total 4.6 billion years of Earth's existence. So, if Earth formed on January 1st, oxygen wasn't even in the atmosphere until July, mammals show up December 18th and humans come around late in the game at 6pm on December 31st. Recorded history is simply the last 48 seconds of this hypothetical year (Keller, Edward. Introduction to Environmental Geology 4th Ed. p. 29).
As I read this earlier in the week I felt humbled when I considered how those final "seconds" are the culmination of God's work and glory, done exclusively to provide for our immortality and eternal life.
Seeing the amount of time God has dedicated for our lives to be possible adds some perspective to the way I choose to live my life. (SeeAmulek's words to the Zoramites http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/34 especially verse 32))
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, Ryan -- that is quite a thought. Thanks for putting things into perspective. Really, really -- that was the best thing I've read all week!
Post a Comment